Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Mandatory Ear Piercing

Before having Lexi, I did not realize that it was mandatory in South Florida to get your baby girl's ears pierced. Apparently, that is the only way people can tell that the baby is a girl. My mom did not allow me to get my ears pierced until I was 7 years old. I have always planned to have my daughters wait until they ask for it, but not allow them to do it before kindergarten.

I know most people down here get their baby girls' ears pierced when they are two months old. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I would rather not. The whole thing has never seemed like a big deal to me until I had Lexi.

You would not believe how many people ask me if she is a boy or girl and 99% of the time she is wearing lots of pink. They have all said that they could not tell because her ears aren't pierced. I happen to think that this logic is funny, but Steve gets slightly offended.

This weekend, I decided to dress her in a little outfit that was definitely for "boys." We were going to visit her granddad and uncle, so I figured they would get a kick out of the little University of Miami fan (besides there was a game).

We went out to a few places while we were in PSL and got lots of comments about our boy, including one about her being a future ball player. I just laughed and told everyone that she is a tomboy for the day. I also teased Steve that we could call her "Alex." He wasn't too happy about that. I guess I need to get a bow for that outfit. As far as the ear piercing though, I will wait until kindergarten or later. Head to toe pink should be a good enough indication.

**If you are thinking she might need therapy once I get done with her, you're probably right. My mom used to dress my sister, Paige, in a navy blue sweat suit when she was a baby and she is a real wacko. (hahaha)**


Tags: , ,

No comments: